A Comfortable and well appointed late 19th century residential hotel. Alongside the building is part of Chepstow's 13th century fortifications, enclosing the old town and the building is adjacent to the ancient town arch. The George re-opened in April 2008 after an extensive refurbishment by the then owners, Smith & Jones. It is now in the hands of a small pub company. The spacious interior offers several sections in which to drink and dine. The menu is extensive and lists popular traditional pub meals both light and main, plus you help help yourself to our salad cart. TV screens are dotted around to bring sports channels, while background music adds to the atmosphere.
24 hour car parking is available a couple of minutes away.
Things to do in Chepstow
Chepstow Castle is located on the top of cliffs overlooking the River Wye, and is the oldest surviving post-Roman stone fortification in Britain.
Chepstow Castle is open to the public , and since 1984 has been in the care of Cadw, the Welsh government body with the responsibility for protecting, conserving and promoting the built heritage of Wales. There are special events held often in the castle and visitors are now able to walk along the battlements and into Martens Tower.
Chepstow Museum is located close to the town centre, opposite Chepstow Castle in Bridge Street, near the River Wye. It occupies Gwy House, a fine townhouse built in 1796 originally for Warren Jane, a wealthy apothecary and merchant.The building became a girls' high school in 1907, and was then used as a Red Cross hospital in World War I. In 1921 it became the Chepstow District Hospital, before being converted into the town museum in 1982.
The museum collection and displays reflect the growth and history of Chepstow as a trading port from medieval times andMarches town and its location within the Wye Valley, attracting many poets and painters.
Tintern Abbey was founded by Walter de Clare, Lord of Chepstow, on 9 May 1131. It is situated adjacent to the village of Tintern in Monmouthshire, on the Welsh bank of the River Wye, which forms the border between Monmouthshire in Wales and Gloucestershire in England. It was only the second Cistercian foundation in Britain, and the first in Wales. Falling into ruin after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century, the remains were celebrated in poetry and often painted by visitors from the 18th century onwards. In 1984 Cadw took over responsibility for the site.